I know what you are thinking. Really? A fried egg sandwich? But most everyone loves a yummy fried egg, sandwiched between some bread. I know this is a ridiculous simple meal but when you are trying to get dinner or breakfast on the table quickly an egg will always do the job. I whipped this up for our dinner the other night and we sprinkled bacon crumbs and sliced avocado on top (the extra toppings didn’t make for a pretty picture). Everyone was happy and wanted seconds. The great thing about fried egg sandwiches is you can use any bread or topping that you like. Truthfully, our chickens have been laying a numerous amount of eggs and we are eating and selling as many as we can. I have poached, scrambled, fried, boiled, mixed up French toast, you name it I have done it. Thankfully, no one has complained and loved every bite! So, if you are press for time to feed your family just open the fridge and break out an egg!
Fried Egg Sandwich (serves 6)
6 slices of bacon
6 slices of French bread
1 cup of shredded Gruyere cheese
2 cups of arugula
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Shred 1 cup of Gruyere cheese.
- Slice up 6 pieces of French bread and place on cookie sheet.
- Toast for about 5 minutes just until bread is a little dried out.
- Set skillet on medium high heat.
- Place 6 slices of bacon into heated skillet.
- Fry till crispy.
- Set aside and chop into bacon crumbs.
- Drain bacon grease leaving about 2 tablespoons in skillet.
- Set skillet on medium high heat again.
- Fry eggs in bacon grease for about 4 minutes or until whites are cooked. Season with salt and pepper. (If you do not like runny eggs make sure and break the yoke when you put it in the pan)
- Put French bread on plate.
- Place egg on top of bread.
- Sprinkle with Gruyere cheese.
- Sprinkle with bacon crumbs.
- Place some arugula on the side.
*Add avocado, jalapenos, whatever is your favorite.