Please do not freak out about the title! I know the sound of mayo and chocolate do not mix, but once you taste this cake, no other chocolate cake will compare. This is my go to cake. It comes out moist, light, and full of chocolate flavor every time. If you are craving chocolate, look no more. This is the cake to make! Oh, I almost forgot about the delicious chocolate buttercream frosting. This frosting is smooth, silky and kid approved! Honestly, when I make this frosting, my kids are standing around like vultures waiting to lick the beaters and bowl. So, if you are in love with chocolate like me, you have to make this cake!
2 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup cacao powder (or unsweetened cocoa powder)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup of good mayonnaise
1 1/3 cups water
· Preheat oven 350 degrees. Cut parchment paper to fit into the bottom of two 9-inch cake pans. Butter and lightly flour both 9-inch round cake pans.
· In a medium bowl, combine flour, cacao powder (or cocoa powder), baking soda, and baking powder.
· In a large bowl, with electric mixer, beat together eggs, sugar, and vanilla on high for about 3-4 minutes. Mix in mayonnaise at low speed until blended. Alternately, mix in the flour mixture and water, into sugar mixer, mixing flour first then water, flour then water, ending with flour. Pour into cake pans.
· Bake for 25-30 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes in the cake pans. Then remove cake from cake pans and let cool to room temperature. Frost with chocolate buttercream frosting. Recipe below.
Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
2 cups 60% bittersweet chocolate chips (you can use semisweet or milk if you prefer)
1/2 cup half-and-half
1 cup butter
2 tablespoons cacao powder or unsweetened cocoa powder
2 cups powdered sugar
· Combine chocolate, half-and-half, and butter in a saucepan; cook over medium heat and continually stir until melted and smooth. Remove from heat.
· In a separate bowl sift together powdered sugar and cacao powder.
· Set sauce pan into an ice bowl. This will make the frosting firm up.
· With an electric mixer, beat in powdered sugar and cacao powder into chocolate mixer until frosting begins to firm up, about 5-6 minutes. Now go frost that yummy cake!