DAY #10 ENGLISH TOFFEE
Toffee candy is another staple that everyone loves to make or purchase for the holidays. I like it rich, buttery and smooth. This toffee is topped with a coating of chocolate, toasted walnuts and has a delicate crunch. Don’t be afraid to make this delectable candy. English toffee is easy and doesn’t require a lot of time to make.
2 cups sugar
1 cup butter
1/4 cup water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 1/2 cups finely chopped walnuts, toasted
- Butter a 15 x 10 inch jellyroll pan.
- Put first 4 ingredients in a medium size heavy saucepan.
- Cook over low heat until sugar dissolves, stirring carefully.
- Turn up heat to medium and continue to cook and stir until candy thermometer reaches 300 degrees or sugar reaches hard crack stage. This takes about 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Pour toffee mixture into buttered jellyroll pan. Spread evenly onto pan.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips onto toffee mixture and spread evenly.
- Sprinkle chopped walnuts onto melted chocolate.
- Let candy cool until set.
- Break apart into pieces.
- Store in an airtight container.
- Keep in frig or cool place.